Monday, March 9, 2009

Note to self:

...don't take the night train.

We finally decided that for our last few days of spring break we would head to beautiful Venice. So we didn't waste any time and to save a few euro, we thought it would be a great idea to take the night train.

Hm.

After landing in Rome, we had some extra time to head back to our apartment for a bit. By then we were already wondering what we were doing, but with ticket in hand we headed to the train station. It was a long 7 hour train ride, but luckily we ended up in the same carriage as a guy from our program and his girlfriend, so it wasn't as awkward. We finally got to Venice...at 5:30am. Yep, 5:30. Nothing is open at 5:30. We found our hostel (which didn't open til 8), and after searching a bit we found a cafe that was open. We had cup of coffee #1, then made our way to a bridge to watch the "sunrise." Unfortunately, it was really overcast and the sky just kind of got brighter. It still wasn't even 7am, so we found another cafe where we had cup of coffee #2.

This is what Venice looks like at 5:30am...

#1!!!
The sunrise...?

#2!!!

It was finally 8am, so we headed to our hostel...we could check in but couldn't get into our room until 1:30pm. So we checked our bags and set out with our umbrellas (yes, it was raining) to explore Venice. The city is absolutely beautiful, but I'm pretty sure time has never passed so slowly. By 11am we were all absolutely exhausted and soaking wet, so we found another cafe where we had - yes, that's right - cup of coffee #3. When we finally got back to the hotel, we crashed - a bed had never felt so wonderful. :)

#3!!!

I know, I know...it sounds absolutely miserable. I'm not gonna lie, it was kinda pathetic, but we definitely had an adventure!!! (And it's definitely something we can laugh about now...haha.)

Ciao for now!

3 comments:

Judy said...

I love the picture of the "sunrise." Beautiful even if there wasn't much of a sunrise! I can't believe you took the night train! I think that would have scared me, but you're doing all kinds of new and wonderful things!

Christine said...

You know what? You should write a sitcom. This was a very sicom-like thing that happened to you. :)

Unknown said...

Cait,
Happy Late Birthday.
Your pics are great. Sounds like you are having a great experience. Aside from the scary parts and the near death by coffee experiences, it seems as if you are having the time of your life. I laughed while reading about your journey, sounds like things that would happen on Seinfeld; everyday things that are crazy and unbelievable, but really happen and nobody wants to admit them to others.
Keep safe and have more fun. Sarah is looking forward to joining in on the journey.
Love
Aunt Alley