We spent most of the day just walking the city. Just before lunch we strolled through the Duomo...it's huge! You can actually see the dome from just about anywhere in the city, which makes it very difficult to get lost. To be honest, though, I think the outside of the Duomo was way more stunning than the inside, which is very different from most of the other churches we've come across. The outside of the Duomo is absolutely stunning and so intricate, and the inside was comparatively (and surprisingly) plain. It was still neat to stroll through, though.
After lunch was probably the highlight of our day...a visit to the Accademia to see David! I have to say, it is the most stunning piece of art I have ever seen in my life. I never understood what the hype was, but when you're actually standing in front of it...it's completely different. It is so detailed and intricate, and there's so much more emotion in the statue than I have seen in any other sculpture. We sat on a bench for about 20 minutes just looking at it...it's just beautiful. Of course, the other art in the gallery just doesn't compare. As much as you may want to stroll through the whole museum, don't let anyone fool you...David is really the only thing worth seeing there.
After a nap at the hostel, we went out for pizza...I'm pretty sure it was the best pizza I've ever had. Again, it was another small restaurant where we were greeted by the owner and treated like family. Of course, for dessert we had to get gelato, but this time we went to a shop that sells gelato on waffles. It was so good (but definitely more pricey than we were expecting). But that's okay...we were on vacation, haha.
On our way back to the hotel, we were walking through the piazza and heard a street performer playing the guitar. He was singing some of his own music as well as some pretty famous songs, all in English. We stopped and sat on some steps to just take it in...it was so beautiful and relaxing. Definitely the best way to end our time in Florence. :)
Ciao for now!
2 comments:
I didn't realize there was a sculpture of me in Rome! Jk jk. It sounds like your having a blast! Glad you're enjoying it so much. :D
I continue to be immensely jealous of your trip, but I love it at the same time because it's letting me re-live everying! Isn't David just amazing? I did the same thing -- stood and looked at him forever. I could not get over how PERFECT he was. Down to the last detail. Amazing. I also totally agree about the Duomo! It and the baptisry are GORGEOUS on the outside, but the Duomo was surpisingly plain. I'm loving your pictures and stories so keep them coming!!! :)
Post a Comment