Monday, January 19, 2009

Everything Foreign

I only have time for a quick post before class...but no worries, more pictures will come when I'm done with class today!

I've been thinking a lot the past few days about how foreign everything is here. I'm in a different country with people who have very different customs than we do back home. It's necessary to think about everything you do...one day a car stopped to let us cross the street, and I began to lift my hand in a "thank you" when I realized that a gesture like that may not be acceptable here. (I've now tried to walk with my hands in my pockets, haha.)

I'm also now in a place where I don't know the language. Although I'm slowly starting to learn a few words here and there, it's been a challenge trying to communicate with people. We're using the little bit of Italian we know (and lots of hand gestures) to try to communicate with people in stores to buy what we need. It's a great experience though, and we're starting to learn a bit more as we see various signs and interact with people. However, it is a little disorienting to always hear people talking but never know what they're saying.

Less expectedly, being at Temple is even foreign to me. I realized the other day that this is my first time attending a public school. There is a whole lifestyle that I have only heard about, and to now be surrounded by it in a foreign country is definitely something to adjust to. It's such a blessing to have Amanda and Carey here, though, and to know that I'm not the only one adjusting to this university lifestyle.

The fact that everything is so foreign to me is actually encouraging. I know for sure that I am going to grow a lot this semester. Sure, most everything is uncomfortable right now, but I'm learning how to cope, and I know that I will grow academically, spiritually, emotionally, and personally. This is going to be a great semester!

Ciao for now!

1 comment:

Christine said...

I think this everytime I look at this blog and I think I've already said this before, but it warrants saying again: I'm very, very proud of you. You're not just going to Italy (which in itself is awesome), but you're making the most of the opportunity and you have an amazing attitude about it all! I'm honored to be your friend and to get to share this experience with you (via the net of course).