Monday, January 19, 2009

Our Neighbor...the Pope!

So I mentioned the other day that we had taken a little trip to the Vatican. It's so close to our apartment...only about a 10-15 minute walk! In fact, when we walk to school each morning we can see the dome from the bottom of the hill. As Gianni (our Student Affairs/"go-to" guide) said, you can open the shades in our apartment windows and see the Pope brushing his teeth. Hahaha.

The Vatican is absolutely beautiful! We didn't explore too much, only because it was late in the afternoon so we didn't have too much time, and we're so close that we're obviously planning on going back. It's so hard to enter and not consider how huge and majestic God is. If humans could construct such a magnificent structure, how much bigger and powerful is the God I serve! Even though there were a lot of tourists around, it was such a peaceful place. I felt compelled to find a place and just fall to my knees. I'm really excited about heading back there soon on a sunny day to do some journaling and devotions!






Ciao for now!

4 comments:

The Marklund's said...

You definitely need to climb the stairs to the top. Breath-taking! And you'll probably see your apartment from there! Wow! What an absolute blessing to be able to experience this! I wish I were you right now. This is close to the time I went a few years ago, and now whenever this time of year comes around I get a "home sick" feeling for Italy. :)

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures...and a majestic looking building. I agree...what a mighty God we serve.
- mom

Jenn said...

that is absolutely breathtaking and aaaaaamazing! pictures must not even do justice. i'm jealous!

Unknown said...

I. AM. SO. JEALOUS. Seriously, it's painful how jealous I am :) I hope you are having an abslolutely spectacular time and enjoying every moment and experience!!