We first stopped in the hill town of Todi. This small medieval town sits high on top of a hill and is still surrounded by the walls that were designed to protect it from invasions centuries ago. As with most things I've encountered here in Italy, it absolutely amazes me how the past and the present interact in all these cities. In some ways, Todi is no different than most other towns: cars speed down the roads, little shops line the main square, and people walk around chatting on their cell phones. At the same time, though, you can feel the history of the town as you make your way through. The cobblestone streets are narrow and windy (clearly not designed for cars), shops have been built into buildings that are centuries old (I even saw a store built into the side of a church), and life just seems much simpler (maybe because it was a Sunday?). Unfortunately, we didn't have too much time there, but it was still amazing to walk through a town that was older than just about anything I've ever seen.
When we left Todi, we travelled to an old fortress called Titignano for lunch. Not just any lunch though...there's a bit of discrepancy on numbers I've heard, but it was easily a lunch of about 7 - 10 courses! It was a nice, slow, 2.5 hour lunch. I had a great time getting to know other people in the program sitting nearby, and everything we ate was fresh - made right there at Titignano! It was pretty cool to have a very cultural meal, and the view was absolutely amazing!
Ciao for now!
8 comments:
BREATH-TAKING!! Umbria is my favorite region, because it's just so gorgeous and not as touristy.
you need to write travel brochures. I feel a huge subconscious pull to go there. Okay, well now I feel like I'm doing a semiotic analysis. But anyway, awesome!!!!
Liz
Those pictures are so awesome! Hope you dont mind...I just found my new desktop backgrounds for a while. Keep up the awesome, hope your having a great time! See ya on skype.
no of course I don't mind! trust me, I'd do the same thing! haha
Hi Caitlin,
I love your blog and look forward to following your Roma/Italia adventure!! It looks like any one of us will be able to travel there with no problems after you explain all of the quirks of being over there. Right!!
Any more information about going to school other than the difference between public and private that you've mentioned?
Take care. I love you.
Aunt Becky
I'VE BEEN TO TODI!!!!! :) Oh my gosh, I'm so jealous! Isn't it gorgeous?? I couldn't get over how hilly it was! You just kept walking up and it seemed like you never reached the top. Oh you just made my whole night :) I can't wait to see what other fun places you discover!
I like how you said that the meal was "cultural". Does that mean it didn't taste good? ;)
These places are gorgeous!!! Thanks for the pictures (how's the photography class by the way?)
Oh no, the food was amazing! Probably one of the best meals I've had since I've been here. The food was just a little different than what we say is Italian in the states, and it was a 3 hour lunch. Definitely cultural. :)
Post a Comment