Thanks for posting the update, Mom!
Yes, it was a very long travel day. It was nice to meet up with some other Temple Rome students too, especially since we had all been on the cancelled flight. By the time we got to Rome, we were all exhausted. Of course, three of the five of us were missing one bag, so off to lost luggage we went. I knew that eventually I would experience culture shock and long to be back in the states, but I figured I'd at least be able to get out of the airport before experiencing this.
Nope. After all the issues with travelling already, that would have been too easy, haha. While we were waiting in line, one man ahead of us became extremely agitated and began yelling at the woman behind the desk. In Italian, of course. And then he stormed away, yelling in Italian, waving his arms, and making a scene. Anything like this would be an uncomfortable situation in the US, but when everyone is yelling in Italian and you have no idea what they're saying, it's incredibly disorienting! Luckily there were a few of us students together, and we managed to field the lost luggage situation successfully. (Or so we hope...we're still waiting on the bags.)
Other than that, Rome has been amazing. Yesterday was very overwhelming, especially when it really hit me that I don't know much Italian and have to manage daily life here from the get-go. However, the Temple Rome staff is amazing and they have already been a huge help and encouragement. We had a meeting this morning, and though it just gave us some basic info, it has made me feel much more comfortable and confident about...well, everything.
I was hoping to post pictures with this post, but there's been some technical issues with computers, and it was dark last night (and we're just trying to figure out where and how to walk). But once we've settled in a bit more and I have a chance to do some more exploring, I'll post some pictures of beautiful Roma!!!
Love and miss you all!
Hotel Shenanigans-Day 1
7 years ago
4 comments:
Cait,
I have every confidence that you will adjust well to Italy and the culture. Remember...this is all part of the experience. I pray you had a great night sleep and can't wait to see pictures.
Hopefully, all the missing luggage will arrive soon!
Loving ya lots...and missing you
Mom
They lost your luggage?? I don't think it's safe for you to travel to foreign countries Cait. ;)
I agree with your mom - you can do this and you will flourish with all these changes. It's going to be hard, but I know you and I know you can do this.
I love you!!
Sounds like quite an adventure so far! Hopefully there won't be this much drama all the time! Let us know when you get your luggage. You didn't have that much to begin with, so I'm sure you need every bit of what's in that suitcase!
Awesome! I can't wait to hear more! :) Will you be visiting other places besides rome? I hope you get a chance to see Perugia. It is my most favorite place that I've been to!
Make sure to have some gelato. There's a place that has every flavor imaginable. I remember it being near the Pantheon. And enjoy the bars! (you know what i mean)
Post a Comment